[MITgcm-support] Vorticity

Alistair Adcroft adcroft at MIT.EDU
Fri Jul 23 09:29:14 EDT 2004

Sergio,

In fact the vorticity is diagnosed and written out but only if you are using
the vector invariant form of the momentum equations for which vorticity is
calculated and used explicitly.

In PARM01
 vectorInvariantMomentum=.TRUE.,
In PARM03
 diagFreq=<something>,

This will write snap-shots of a lot of things at the <something> frequency.
Look in mom_vecinv.F to see what is written - you should comment out all
except "Z3" if you want to save disk space.

A.
--
Dr Alistair Adcroft            http://www.mit.edu/~adcroft
MIT Climate Modeling Initiative        tel: (617) 253-5938
EAPS 54-1624,  77 Massachusetts Ave,  Cambridge,  MA,  USA

-----Original Message-----
From: mitgcm-support-bounces at mitgcm.org
[mailto:mitgcm-support-bounces at mitgcm.org] On Behalf Of Ed Hill
Sent: Thursday, July 22, 2004 10:36 PM
To: MITgcm-support
Subject: Re: [MITgcm-support] Vorticity

On Thu, 2004-07-22 at 21:52, Sergio Jaramillo wrote:
> Hi again,
>
> I see that the model calculates the relative vorticity field in
> mon_vort3.F,  I wrote some lines to get it as another output, but I
> might be doing something terribly wrong as the model collapses when I
> do this. Is there any simple way to obtain the relative vorticity in
> the same format as the other outputs from the model (U, V, W, ...)?

Hi Sergio,

Unlike the U, V, & W quantities, vorticity [vort3] is never stored as a full
3D field.  Instead, its calculated only one level at a time (as its
needed) and then promptly overwritten.  So its a little trickier to write it
out.

There are at least three ways that you can write it:

  1) create a new full 3D field, fill each level of it with
     values from vort3() as they are calculated, and then write
     it with the existing MDSIO routines

  2) write a few calls to output it as NetCDF using the new MNC
     package

  3) create a vorticity diagnostic with the new diagnostics package
     which will then provide both:

     a) the ability to select/specify at run time any number of
        Z levels (including all or none of them) to be output

     b) output written in the "MDSIO" and/or NetCDF formats

Unfortunately, all of these options require a little coding.  But we can
help!  I think the third option is by far the best.  If you can be patient,
I can probably have option #3 done this weekend.  Of course, you must be
using the latest version of the code.

Would that work?

Ed

--