[MITgcm-support] Vorticity

Ed Hill ed at eh3.com
Thu Jul 22 22:36:27 EDT 2004

On Thu, 2004-07-22 at 21:52, Sergio Jaramillo wrote:
> Hi again,
>
> I see that the model calculates the relative vorticity field in
> mon_vort3.F,  I wrote some lines to get it as another output, but I
> might be doing something terribly wrong as the model collapses when I do
> this. Is there any simple way to obtain the relative vorticity in the
> same format as the other outputs from the model (U, V, W, ...)?

Hi Sergio,

Unlike the U, V, & W quantities, vorticity [vort3] is never stored as a
full 3D field.  Instead, its calculated only one level at a time (as its
needed) and then promptly overwritten.  So its a little trickier to
write it out.

There are at least three ways that you can write it:

  1) create a new full 3D field, fill each level of it with
     values from vort3() as they are calculated, and then write
     it with the existing MDSIO routines

  2) write a few calls to output it as NetCDF using the new MNC
     package

  3) create a vorticity diagnostic with the new diagnostics package
     which will then provide both:

     a) the ability to select/specify at run time any number of
        Z levels (including all or none of them) to be output

     b) output written in the "MDSIO" and/or NetCDF formats

Unfortunately, all of these options require a little coding.  But we can
help!  I think the third option is by far the best.  If you can be
patient, I can probably have option #3 done this weekend.  Of course,
you must be using the latest version of the code.

Would that work?

Ed

--
Edward H. Hill III, PhD