[MITgcm-support] (no subject)

Alistair Adcroft adcroft at MIT.EDU
Thu Jul 22 10:52:45 EDT 2004

Davide,

If you are convinced the presence of topography is leading to the numerical
instability then the CFL number in the output line %MON advcfl_W_hf_max
should be growing the fastest (faster than the others). In this case try
combining a smaller time-step with a larger value of hFacMin .

Here's two tests that should reveal something:

 1.  hFacMin=1.,  should run if the box ran
 2.  hFacMin=0.2, hFacMinDr=<same value as DELZ(1)>

If you compare the output file "Depth" in these two runs you'll see that it
is changing the representation of topography from "full step" to mostly
"partial step".

A.

-----Original Message-----
From: mitgcm-support-bounces at mitgcm.org
[mailto:mitgcm-support-bounces at mitgcm.org] On Behalf Of
prosperi at wicc.weizmann.ac.il
Sent: Sunday, July 18, 2004 8:28 AM
To: mitgcm-support at mitgcm.org
Subject: [MITgcm-support] (no subject)

Hi everybody!
I am trying to run my own experiment with real forcing and bathymetry. But I
get a stop due to extreme value of the solutions after few time
steps for every value of deltaT or abEps. I checked the stability criteria
and the parameter values satisfy them. The experiment run with a box
instead of the topography. Of course for each one of the external field
that I am trying to put I have the same prooblem.
The bathymetry is normally acquired and the file Depth is slightly less
smooth than the input bathymetry.
Thanking you for any advice..
All the best
Davide