[MITgcm-support] MITgcm application for high latitudes

Ed Hill ed at eh3.com
Mon Aug 30 22:13:00 EDT 2004

On Mon, 2004-08-30 at 15:17, Dimitris Menemenlis wrote:
> On Monday 30 August 2004 09:36 am, Entcho Demirov wrote:
> > I would like to know more about how the sea-ice is treated
> > in the model. Is there a sea-ice model in the MITgcm? I could
> > not find information about this topic on the Web site of
> > MITgcm.
>
> Dear Entcho, there are at least two sea-ice models already embedded in the
> MITgcm.  One of them is based on Winton thermodynamics and is located
> under MITgcm/pkg/thsice, with an example experiment under
> MITgcm/verification/global_ocean.cs32x15, and with documentation under
> http://mitgcm.org/sealion/online_documents/node211.html
>
> A second package, which is based on Hibler dynamics and thermodynamics
> is located under MITgcm/pkg/seaice, with an example experiment under
> MITgcm/verification/lab_sea.  Ed Hill will be adding a bit of documentation
> and references for this package online and will get back to you.
>
> For your Lab Sea work, you will probably want to use pkg/seaice because
> it includes dynamics.  Some sea-ice movies from the MITgcm are available
> at http://ecco.jpl.nasa.gov/cube_sphere/IceCube/
>
> Good luck with proposal, Dimitris

Hi Dimitris & Entcho,

The online documentation:

http://mitgcm.org/sealion/online_documents/node1.html

has been updated to include Dimitris' brief description of the "seaice"
package:

http://mitgcm.org/sealion/online_documents/node215.html

in addition to the "thsice" package:

http://mitgcm.org/sealion/online_documents/node214.html