[MITgcm-support] MITgcm application for high latitudes

Dimitris Menemenlis menemenlis at jpl.nasa.gov
Mon Aug 30 15:17:38 EDT 2004

On Monday 30 August 2004 09:36 am, Entcho Demirov wrote:
> I would like to know more about how the sea-ice is treated
> in the model. Is there a sea-ice model in the MITgcm? I could
> not find information about this topic on the Web site of
> MITgcm.

Dear Entcho, there are at least two sea-ice models already embedded in the
MITgcm.  One of them is based on Winton thermodynamics and is located
under MITgcm/pkg/thsice, with an example experiment under
MITgcm/verification/global_ocean.cs32x15, and with documentation under
http://mitgcm.org/sealion/online_documents/node211.html

A second package, which is based on Hibler dynamics and thermodynamics
is located under MITgcm/pkg/seaice, with an example experiment under
MITgcm/verification/lab_sea.  Ed Hill will be adding a bit of documentation
and references for this package online and will get back to you.

For your Lab Sea work, you will probably want to use pkg/seaice because
it includes dynamics.  Some sea-ice movies from the MITgcm are available
at http://ecco.jpl.nasa.gov/cube_sphere/IceCube/

Good luck with proposal, Dimitris

--
Dimitris Menemenlis <menemenlis at jpl.nasa.gov>
Jet Propulsion Lab, California Institute of Technology