[MITgcm-support] Advection_schemes

Alistair Adcroft adcroft at MIT.EDU
Thu Aug 19 09:15:41 EDT 2004

Petter,

You mentioned Tr1 - that isn't the ptracer package that we use for passive
tracers but a deprecated single passive tracer (which I thought we had
deleted). I would not be surprised if any Tr1 code that exists is
inconsistent with the full suite of advection schemes. Try using ptracer and
your problems should go away.

Martin's tests are worth doing to convince yourself it's all working...

A.

-----Original Message-----
From: mitgcm-support-bounces at mitgcm.org
[mailto:mitgcm-support-bounces at mitgcm.org] On Behalf Of Martin Losch
Sent: Thursday, August 19, 2004 2:20 AM
To: mitgcm-support at mitgcm.org
Subject: Re: Re: Re: [MITgcm-support] Advection_schemes

Petter,
I am a little puzzled by your results, I have been using DST-3 with
flux limiter (scheme 33) for quite some time now also with older
checkpoints and (17) passive tracers (with the ptracers-pkg), and I
haven't had any of your problems, yet. Let's not hope that you have
discovered something that will make my last year's work worthless
(don't worry, it's worthless anyway (o:)

Another test: use a linear equation of state (eosType='LINEAR') and set
sBeta=0., so that theta is basically density/buoyancy and salinity is
passive. Then salinity and your explicit passive tracer should give the
same results (provided that ptracers_forcing uses the salinity forcing,
this is the default). In all of my experiments this was the case.

Martin