[MITgcm-support] question on sponge-layer/mpi

Theo Gerkema Theo.Gerkema at hmg.inpg.fr
Wed Aug 18 06:31:21 EDT 2004

Hi,

Could someone help me sorting out the following problem:
in external_forcing.F I've added a sponge-layer; the sponge
covers (say) the first 100 points of the basin:

      DO j=jMin,jMax
       DO i=iMin,iMax
        rayleighz(i,j,kLev,bi,bj)=0.
       ENDDO
      ENDDO
      DO j=jMin,jMax
       DO i=1,100
        rayleighz(i,j,kLev,bi,bj)=0.1*(100-i)/100.
       ENDDO
      ENDDO

It works selectively on the baroclinic field (tides):

        DO j=jMin,jMax
        DO i=iMin+1,iMax-1
         gU(i,j,kLev,bi,bj) = gU(i,j,kLev,bi,bj)
     &   -rayleighz(i,j,kLev,bi,bj)*
     &    abs(uVel(i+1,j,kLev,bi,bj)-uVel(i-1,j,kLev,bi,bj))*
     &    uVel(i,j,kLev,bi,bj)
        ENDDO
       ENDDO

This works well, but I've now started doing runs in parallel,
and if I run the code on for example two processors, an additional
sponge-layer appears halfway the basin (ie at the left end of the 2nd
sub-domain), rendering the results meaningless.
Is there a way I can avoid the repetition of the sponge in parallel
runs? Many thanks!

-- Theo.

***

Theo GERKEMA
LEGI (Laboratoire des Ecoulements Géophysiques et Industriels)
BP 53
38041 GRENOBLE Cedex 9
FRANCE

tel: +33 (0)4 76 82 50 45