[MITgcm-support] [MITgcm Manual] section 3.2 Obtaining the code

Ed Hill ed at eh3.com
Fri Aug 13 20:10:04 EDT 2004

On Fri, 2004-08-13 at 19:04, jeff polton wrote:
> Ed,
> I downloaded the code on Tues and have spent the last few days trying
> to get it to compile to run the verification examples. So far I've only
> managed to see some output from the exp2 code without using a specified
> optfile (trying exp2, for example, without an optfile doesn't find the
> makedepend file but compiles anyway under 'make' to the fail mitgcmuv
> execution:
>
> namelist read: read unexpected character
> apparent state: unit 11 named /tmp/tmp.FhZN1m8
> last format: list io
> lately reading sequential formatted external IO
> Aborted
> ).
>
> Anyway in practise I want to use pgf90 compiler and though I've writing
> an optfile, which seems to compile ok, it crashes on mitgcmuv
> execution:
>
> PGFIO-F-233/namelist read/unit=11/too many constants to initialize
> group item.
>   File name = /tmp/FTNcaaaacaFaD    formatted, sequential access
> record = 2
>   In source file ini_parms.f, at line number 3141
>
> To be honest I've run out of ideas as to how to diagnose the problem,
> so thought that I ask you to see whether, with your experience, you
> could tell me what it sounds like or where I need to look to try and
> understand what is going wrong.
>
> Sorry to bother you with what is hopefully quite a trivial problem,
>
> Jeff
> PS Should this sort of email have gone to the group email list? I
> thought that it probably wasn't appropriate.

Hi Jeff,

This is the right list!

Unfortunately, I'm confused by your bug report.  It seems that you're
having problems with the syntax in the Fortran namelists and troubles
compiling.  Just to be certain, the basic set of commands you should use
to build and run one of the examples (we'll use "exp2" since you
mentioned it) are:

  $ wget http://mitgcm.org/download/MITgcm_checkpoint54.tar.gz
  $ tar -xzvf MITgcm_checkpoint54.tar.gz
  $ cd MITgcm/verification/exp2/input/
  $ ../../../tools/genmake2 -mods=../code
  $ make depend
  $ make
  $ make output.txt

and, with a little luck, it will run.  And by "a little luck" I mean
that the Fortran compiler and other tools are automatically discovered
by genmake2--which is not always the case.  On many machines, you will
have to invoke genmake2 with more options to specify which compiler(s),
C preprocessor, soft-link program, etc. to use.  The specification of
all those build tools can be done in a single "optfile" tailored for
your particular needs:

  $ ../../../tools/genmake2 -mods=../code -of=YOUR_CUSTOM_OPTFILE

and good examples are provided in the directory:

  MITgcm/tools/build_options/

So, here are a few questions to get us started:

 - what hardware and operating system are you using?
 - which compiler are you using (or trying to use)?
 - have you tried the *exact* build process listed above?
 - if so, what error messages do you get and when do you
     get them?

Ed

--
Edward H. Hill III, PhD