[MITgcm-support] [MITgcm Manual] section 3.2 Obtaining the code

jeff polton jpolton at ucsd.edu
Fri Aug 13 19:04:14 EDT 2004

Ed,
I downloaded the code on Tues and have spent the last few days trying
to get it to compile to run the verification examples. So far I've only
managed to see some output from the exp2 code without using a specified
optfile (trying exp2, for example, without an optfile doesn't find the
makedepend file but compiles anyway under 'make' to the fail mitgcmuv
execution:

namelist read: read unexpected character
apparent state: unit 11 named /tmp/tmp.FhZN1m8
last format: list io
lately reading sequential formatted external IO
Aborted
).

Anyway in practise I want to use pgf90 compiler and though I've writing
an optfile, which seems to compile ok, it crashes on mitgcmuv
execution:

PGFIO-F-233/namelist read/unit=11/too many constants to initialize
group item.
  File name = /tmp/FTNcaaaacaFaD    formatted, sequential access
record = 2
  In source file ini_parms.f, at line number 3141

To be honest I've run out of ideas as to how to diagnose the problem,
so thought that I ask you to see whether, with your experience, you
could tell me what it sounds like or where I need to look to try and
understand what is going wrong.

Sorry to bother you with what is hopefully quite a trivial problem,

Jeff
PS Should this sort of email have gone to the group email list? I
thought that it probably wasn't appropriate.
Scripps Institute of Oceanography, UCSD,
9500 Gilman Dr., Dept. 0213, La Jolla, CA 92093-0213
Tel: (858) 534-4560. Fax: (858) 534-8045