solution found; was: Re: [MITgcm-support] no -mpi option forgenmake2

Ed Hill ed at eh3.com
Wed Aug 11 12:35:03 EDT 2004

On Wed, 2004-08-11 at 12:14, m. r. schaferkotter wrote:
> chris and ed:
>
> first the cvs update is on a lintel system (not Mac-osx). i/m updating
> my copy at work (lintel) and home is (OSX).
>
> did exactly as ed suggested:
>
>   'cvs -q up -d -P' in the $MITGCM_ROOT
>
> but notice:
>
> [me at mach MITgcm]$ cvs -q up -d -P
> ? eesupp/src/exch_uv_agrid_xy.rl.F
> ? eesupp/src/exch_uv_agrid_xy.rs.F
> ? eesupp/src/exch_uv_agrid_xyz.rl.F
> ? eesupp/src/exch_uv_agrid_xyz.rs.F

Hi Michael,

Theres the problem!  CVS doesn't know what to do with these
exch_uv_agrid* files (because they are template-generated) so it leaves
them be.  And, because the Makefile has been updated and no longer
reflects the older templating process, "make clean" doesn't know what to
do with them, either!

So you've clearly identified a case where:

  cd $MITGCM_ROOT  &&  cvs -q up -d -P
  cd $YOUR_BUILD_DIR
  make CLEAN  &&  make makefile  &&  make depend  &&  make

isn't sufficient.  Thats progress!  And I think I owe you a beer.

OK, so the general solution here is to delete all the files and
directories that "cvs up" tags with a leading question mark.  That way,
you would get rid of any such stale files/dirs.  You'd also loose things
that you've modified but not checked into CVS--which may be a really bad
idea.

And I don't see how we could (or for that matter, *should*) try to write
Makefiles smart enough to deal with this sort of situation.  I think the
best advice what I originally said which is: please get a clean, fresh
check-out!

Ed

--
Edward H. Hill III, PhD