[MITgcm-support] solution is heading out of bounds

Martin Losch mlosch at awi-bremerhaven.de
Wed Aug 11 03:27:14 EDT 2004

Hi Davide,
> (PID.TID 0000.0001) SOLUTION IS HEADING OUT OF BOUNDS: tMin,tMax=
> -2.231E+03
> 8.232E+02
> (PID.TID 0000.0001) STOPPING CALCULATION
>  S/R EEDIE: Only     0 threads have completed,     1 are expected for
> this
> confi guration!

This message does not point to a problem in the parallel environment,
as far as I know. I think it occurs, because the programme is stopped
improperly in monitor, but I don't know how to fix that.
The real problem you have is that your "SOLUTION IS HEADING OUT OF
BOUNDS". The monitor package checks the range of the theta-variable,
and if it exceeds something (I think +/-1e+03), it issues this error
message and stops to avoid NaNs, Infs or ???????? in your output (in
which case on some systems the model would continue to run and you
wouldn't notice until you check your results). If you want to allow
theta values above these values (which you probably won't), then you'll
have to comment out some lines in pkg/monitor/mon_solution.F
So you'll have to find out why the solution is heading out of bounds.
Problably CFL violation or something like that. For example, have a
look at advcfl_* values in standard out and see which first becomes
large.

Martin

Martin Losch // mailto:mlosch at awi-bremerhaven.de
Alfred-Wegener-Institut für Polar- und Meeresforschung
Postfach 120161, 27515 Bremerhaven, Germany
Tel./Fax: ++49(471)4831-1872/1797
http://www.awi-bremerhaven.de/People/show?mlosch