[MITgcm-support] solution is heading out of bounds

prosperi at wicc.weizmann.ac.il prosperi at wicc.weizmann.ac.il
Wed Aug 11 03:13:17 EDT 2004

Hi guys, I am running an experiment with monthly averahed heat fluxes and
tau in a non-hydrostatic fashion on a small basin with steep topography.
The setting in data are these:

# ====================
# | Model parameters |
# ====================
 &PARM01
 tRef               = 25., 24.5, 23.5, 23.0, 22.8, 22.5, 22.0, 21.9, 21.9,
21.8,
 sRef               = 10*42,
 viscAh             = 5.0E-2,
 viscAz             = 1.E-5,
 no_slip_sides      = .FALSE.,
 no_slip_bottom     = .TRUE.,
 diffKhT            = 0.E-2,
 diffKzT            = 3.E-6,
 diffKhS            = 0.E-2,
 diffKzS            = 3.E-6,
 f0                 = 7.3E-5,
 beta               = 1.E-11,
 tAlpha             = 2.E-4,
 sBeta              = 0.E-4,
 rigidLid           = .FALSE.,
 implicitFreeSurface=.TRUE.,
 implicitDiffusion  =.TRUE.,
 implicitViscosity  =.TRUE.,
 eosType            ='LINEAR',
 hFacMin=1.,
 hFacMinDz=10.,
 nonHydrostatic=.TRUE.,
 readBinaryPrec=64,
 staggerTimeStep=.TRUE.,
 globalFiles=.TRUE.,
 bottomDragLinear=0.E-4,
 tempAdvScheme=33,
 &
 # Elliptic solver parameters
 &PARM02
 cg2dMaxIters=300,
 cg2dTargetResidual=1.E-13,
 cg3dMaxIters=20,
 cg3dTargetResidual=1.E-8,
 &
 &PARM03
 niter0=0,
 nTimeSteps=3153600,
 deltaT=100.0,
 abEps=0.01,
 pChkptFreq=0.0,
 chkptFreq=0.0,
 dumpFreq=2592000.0,
 taveFreq=2592000.0,
 monitorFreq=1.,
 periodicExternalForcing = .TRUE.,
 externForcingPeriod = 2592000.0,
 externForcingCycle = 31104000.0,
 &

 &PARM04
 usingCartesianGrid      = .TRUE.,
 usingSphericalPolarGrid = .FALSE.,
 delX   = 24*1.2E3,
 delY   = 164*1.5E3,
 delZ= 10., 10., 15., 20., 20., 25., 35., 50.,780., 780.,
 &

 &PARM05
  bathyFile       = 'ELBATHEVEN',
  meridWindFile   ='tauyeven.bin',
  surfQFile       = 'qsurfeven.bin',
 &

After (3, 2 or 1 month of integration depending on the usage of (GMREdi
and KPP, just KPP or no one of them)).
Using GMRedi I considered the taper sheme enabled and I gained one month..

 GM_taper_scheme = 'clipping'
  GM_background_K    = 1.e+3,
  GM_taper_scheme    = 'gkw91',
  GM_maxSlope        = 1.e-2,
  GM_Kmin_horiz      = 50.,
  GM_Scrit           = 4.e-3,
  GM_Sd              = 1.e-3,

 I got the following  message:

(PID.TID 0000.0001) SOLUTION IS HEADING OUT OF BOUNDS: tMin,tMax=
-2.231E+03
8.232E+02
(PID.TID 0000.0001) STOPPING CALCULATION
 S/R EEDIE: Only     0 threads have completed,     1 are expected for this
confi guration!

 Possibly you have different setenv PARALLEL and nThreads?

in eedata I have the default settings.

what is the message telling me?
Where should I look to fix it?
The same settings (with KPP and without nonhydrostatic) are not giving me
any problem.
All the Best
p.s.
Thanks to Ed for the problem with the bathymetry.

Davide