[MITgcm-support] MITgcm on Cygwin and MacOS X

samar khatiwala spk at ldeo.columbia.edu
Fri Apr 9 19:42:06 EDT 2004

Ed et al

Could you (or someone else) explain the rationale behind explicitly
calling cpp? All compilers I am aware of call cpp before parsing the
code. What is so special about compiling this code that makes this
necessary?

Most recently I have been running the MIT model on an a G5 XServe with the
IBM xlf compiler. xlf (possibly even pgf) gives you the option of saving
the "small f" file it creates after running cpp. Optionally, it will also
preppend a "F" before the file name so it does not matter whether you
have HFS or UFS.

There are good reasons to stick with HFS+. Unlike UFS it is journaled and
with some (minor) effort it too can be made case sensitive.

Samar

Oceanography 201B
Lamont Doherty Earth Observatory
Columbia University
Palisades, NY 10964
voice (845)-365-8454
Fax   (845)-365-8736

Department of Applied Physics and Applied Mathematics
Mudd 292C
Columbia University
voice (212)-854-8111