[MITgcm-support] MITgcm on Cygwin and MacOS X

Chris Hill cnh at mit.edu
Fri Apr 9 20:42:41 EDT 2004

Hi Samar,

 Here are two main reasons (aka excuses) for the current separation of cpp

  1 - meshing well with what TAF/TAMC does - i.e. it wants to see pure
Fortran.
  2 - allowing a special filter that converts the pattern ' _d ' to either D
or E so that
      literal numbers (which are written 1. _d 0 for example in MITgcm) will
be 64-bit on all
      platforms. This pattern substitution can't be done with cpp because it
requires removing
      white space (the white space removal is needed to keep the TAF/TAMC
front-end parser happy).

 Does using an alternate suffix e.g. .for or .f77 cause problems or not
work? That was what I thought ought to work and would allow the use of
native DOS and HFS filesystems. Its fairly easy to macro the .f to .for,.f77
etc... in our toolchain so that it can be changed for different compilers if
needed.

Chris