[Mitgcm-support] advection schemes

mitgcm-support at dev.mitgcm.org mitgcm-support at dev.mitgcm.org
Wed Jul 9 15:35:20 EDT 2003

Hi again,

this time I have a question about advection schemes:
I have replaced the default advection (2nd order, centered) by the DST-3
with flux limiter (temp/salt/tracerAdvScheme=33, by the way, not very
well documented which idenifying number belongs to which scheme). In my
channel, I start from a zonally homogeneous (symmetric) state, with a
strong vertical stratification (similar to Wardle and Marshall, 2000, JPO).

I expect (and this is true for the 2nd centered scheme) that, starting
from rest, I spinup my channel ad infinitum, until the CFL criterium is
violated the model explodes.

With the DST-3 with flux limiter, this is NOT what happens, instead the
whole system becomes unstable almost immediately (even if I have some
explicity bi-harmonic friction), I get deep mixing until the channel is
basically homogenized and then slowly the flow restratifies according to
my buoyancy forcing, but the zonal symmetry is broken forever. Is that
supposed to happen?

Martin Losch
Alfred Wegener Institute for Polar and Marine Research
Postfach 120161, 27515 Bremerhaven, Germany;
Tel./Fax: ++49(0471)4831-1872/1797