[Mitgcm-support] Re: KPP (c30) bug

mitgcm-support at dev.mitgcm.org mitgcm-support at dev.mitgcm.org
Wed Jul 9 15:35:21 EDT 2003

OK, let's talk on Thursday.  Whatever you guys decide, I will code
accordingly, but I'd like to make sure you understand what is on my
wish list and why before you make a decision.

Here is a specific example of what I want to be able to do with
CPP_OPTIONS.  Let's say the baseline CPP_OPTIONS file contains:

#define INCLUDE_CONVECT_CALL
#undef SHORTWAVE_HEATING

I want to be able to override these options in KPP_OPTIONS with

#ifdef ALLOW_KPP
#undef INCLUDE_CONVECT_CALL
#define SHORTWAVE_HEATING
#endif

For this to be effective KPP_OPTIONS needs to be visible to all
programs that use INCLUDE_CONVECT_CALL and SHORTWAVE_HEATING flags.

In c30, SW forcing is almost but not completely implemented yet.
For example surfQswFile is never initialized, and many of the lines
that deal with shortwave radiation are commented out.  Changes
required to make c30 functional are trivial and I can take care of
that.  More of a pain are differences between ecco_c30_ralf and c30.
Ralf has ignored some important sections of c30 code, for example,
pkg/gmredi.

Dimitris