[Mitgcm-support] RE: convective adjustment in the MIT-GCM

mitgcm-support at dev.mitgcm.org mitgcm-support at dev.mitgcm.org
Wed Jul 9 15:43:53 EDT 2003

Hi Nadia,

  The static stability test is done on a density anomaly ( with a stably
stratified background removed) referenced to a common local depth (the
upper tracer cell center in the two layers). The standard density
calculation uses potential temperature and salinity and applies a depth
dependent EOS formula that accounts for pressure effects due to
overlying fluid mass.

Chris