[Mitgcm-support] horizontal viscosity

mitgcm-support at dev.mitgcm.org mitgcm-support at dev.mitgcm.org
Wed Jul 9 15:22:41 EDT 2003

Hi,

are there any plans to replace the so-far constant horizontal
viscosities, viscAh and viscA4, by 2D or 3D fields? So that one could
e.g., scale the coefficients with variable grid size, or implement
something like a Smagorinski-type viscosity? If I were to code this up,
would it make sense to go for (global) 2D fields Ah(i,j,bi,bj) or should
I immediately introduce 3D fields Ah(i,j,k,bi,bj)? Is this anything of
interest to anyone else or is it just me (in which case I would do as I
please and not check anything in (o: )?

Martin Losch
Alfred Wegener Institute for Polar and Marine Research
Postfach 120161, 27515 Bremerhaven, Germany;
Tel./Fax: ++49(0471)4831-1872/1797