[MITgcm-support] [EXTERNAL] How to use pickups

Menemenlis, Dimitris (US 329B) dimitris.menemenlis at jpl.nasa.gov
Tue Nov 14 09:22:16 EST 2023

Hi Francesco, if you don’t mind a short spin-up period, e.g., as in Fig. 6 here: https://doi.org/10.1175/1520-0426(1997)014<1420:LOAOGC>2.0.CO;2<https://doi.org/10.1175/1520-0426(1997)014%3C1420:LOAOGC%3E2.0.CO;2>
then you can just dump Theta and Salt at last time step (and sea ice variables if you have sea ice) of the first run, modify Theta,
then restart from these new initial Theta/Salt conditions.

You can also try using the U/V/Eta of end of first run as first guesses, which might reduce the adjustment shock and adjustment time.

Either way, there is no need to specify the complete pickup files, since the velocity and tendency terms will be incosistent with the perturbed Theta.

Dimitris