[MITgcm-support] external forcing wind

Manfredi Manizza mmanizza at ucsd.edu
Wed Jul 5 11:42:04 EDT 2023

Hi Francesco,

it depends on the files and the set-up.

Normally on a 3D domain set-up you would use "data.exf" where you
specify the input file of wind speed if you use interannual winds as in
ECCO.
So you do not read that from the "data" file but it seems not to be your
case....

You might want to check this 1-D set-up of the ross sea:

https://github.com/MITgcm-contrib/ecco_darwin/tree/master/idealized/1D_darwin/ross_sea/run

It might give you a hint about how to read the wind in your 1-D case.

In this experiment the wind forcing is read in the "data" file.

Here a file where to follow the correct options:

https://github.com/MITgcm-contrib/ecco_darwin/blob/master/idealized/1D_darwin/ross_sea/code/EXF_OPTIONS.h

I never used it but I hope this can be useful for you to set-up yours
correctly.

Good luck.

Manfredi

On Wed, Jul 5, 2023 at 2:15 AM Dattilo, Francesco <fdattilo at ogs.it> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I'm working with the Darwin package. I'm a bit confused about how to set
> wind as external forcing.
> I saw that it is possible to specify the zonal wind and the meridional
> wind in the "data" file, and this seems to be consistent with the example
> <https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://mitgcm.readthedocs.io/en/latest/examples/barotropic_gyre/barotropic_gyre.html*sec-eg-baro__;Iw!!Mih3wA!F0NpPv7kBp5gSoyJ2jM9Iva1V7k3g7RPj8LMYuP_v6xziAU6aZe1H0hJG2K2LEr1zkauGJQzZoIqHFirQA$>
> . However, it seems that I have also another way, by modifying the
> "data.darwin" file, specifying the windFile and "darwin_useEXFwind =
> .TRUE." and "DARWIN_haveWind = .FALSE."
>  but in this case it is not clear to me:
>
> 1) which kind of file has to be the "windFile"
> 2) if it is correct to set "darwin_useEXFwind = .TRUE."  and
> "DARWIN_haveWind = .FALSE."
>
> Using a 1D model I also don't know what's the proper choice.
>
> Thank you very much for every suggestion
>
> Best regards
>
> Francesco Dattilo

Dr. Manfredi Manizza
Geosciences Research Division
Scripps Institution of Oceanography
University of California San Diego
9500 Gilman Drive La Jolla, CA 92093-0244
email : mmanizza at ucsd.edu
tel   : +1-858-534-7094
web   : http://bluemoon.ucsd.edu/mmanizza/

web   : https://mmanizza.scrippsprofiles.ucsd.edu/