[MITgcm-support] rSphere definition when using 'deepAtmosphere' option for ocean modelling - quick question

Flynn Ames f.ames at pgr.reading.ac.uk
Mon Feb 27 11:39:26 EST 2023

Dear MITgcm community,

Hello - I'm hoping to sanity check my interpretation of the 'rsphere' parameter in the MITgcm.

I've been interpreting rsphere as the distance to the top of the model domain (surface of the ocean).
However, it was recently pointed out to me that rSphere could instead potentially refer to the distance to the bottom of the model domain (bottom of the ocean).

In the code, in the file 'set_grid_factors.F', it appears the computation of the deepAtmosphere adjustments to the grid cell size assume the radius is defined at the top of the domain (the adjustment factor appears to create a smaller cell for increasing Nr). So it seems my initial interpretation could be correct. Though I was wondering if someone else could confirm this?

My ocean model has the 'deepAtmosphere' option turned on (with an ocean depth comparable to the radius of the sphere), so this interpretation will have significant effects upon my results.

Thanks for your time!
Flynn