[MITgcm-support] ​Initial conditions ​At higher initial values for temperature and salinity, model simulation yields nan values.​

Martin Losch Martin.Losch at awi.de
Thu Feb 23 09:43:59 EST 2023

The implemented equations of state are empirical functions for the tyical ocean ranges of temperature and salinity, so extreme salinity values may lead to weird densities. But what’s make the model blow up are large density gradients (so large salinity gradients). Are you initial fields smooth?

You can try the availalbe, implemented EOS: eosType = ‘LINEAR’, ‘JMD95Z’, ‘MDJWF’, ’TEOS10’ and see if one of them works, but except for the ‘LINEAR’ one, I expect salinity of 80 to lead to funny density.

Then I would try to find EOSs for high salinity ranges in the literature. I am sure that this has been done in the context of Dead Sea simulations where salinities can go up to 400. Once you have a suitable EOS, you’ll probably have to implement it (see e.g. find_rho.F and related routines).

Martin