[MITgcm-support] Problems with the EXF package and binary input files

Gus Correa gus at ldeo.columbia.edu
Thu Feb 9 09:57:16 EST 2023

Good morning Dani

May I ask why you are regridding the data for use by the EXF package?
My recollection is that it does on the fly grid interpolation, which is
probably the best feature of EXF.
Here is what the documentation says:
https://mitgcm.readthedocs.io/en/latest/phys_pkgs/exf.html
"An interpolation routine provides on-the-fly interpolation of forcing
fields an arbitrary grid onto the model grid."
Check the EXF package CPP options that enable this interpolation also (link
above).
You probably need the CAL package to get the timing right.

You may still need to convert to binary format (say, if not using
netCDF/MNC package,).
If using the MDS package for IO, you still need swap bytes (it stuns me
that MITgcm continues to insist in big-endian),
if needed, ensure that lat,lon,lev,time go in the correct order, create
consistent data.exf  and data.cal namelists, etc.
I believe there are some Matlab routines in the MITgcm tarball that may
help to convert to binary.

My two cents,
Gus Correa