[MITgcm-support] Managing the euphotic zone with RADTRANS

Dattilo, Francesco fdattilo at ogs.it
Mon Aug 7 12:30:53 EDT 2023

Hi everyone,

I'm working with a 1D biogeochemical model by using the DARWIN package.
For spectral light description I'm using the RADTRANS package, but I have a
doubt regarding it.
In particular, I've noticed that my spectral components go extinct very
soon, in the first 20 meters of the water column (really naively, I'm
expecting the euphotic zone at least in the first 100 meters).
Firstly, I thought it was related to the parameter "RT_kmax" set in
RADTRANS_PARAMETERS namelist, because it sets the maximum depth index for
radtrans computations. However, also by putting the maximum layer index
still this problem remains.
I'm sure it is not a problem of bad initialization values, because I did
several tests also with some examples provided by MIT and still I get the
same.
So I think it could be related to some parameter that still is obscure to
me, having started to work with this package recently.

Do you know some other parameters involved in shaping the euphotic zone's
depth? Or maybe someone else has already faced this problem?

Thank you very much.

All the best,

Francesco Dattilo