[MITgcm-support] How to calculate the phiHyd (hydrostatic pressure potential anomaly) with model output ?

Martin Losch Martin.Losch at awi.de
Mon Oct 10 04:51:07 EDT 2022

Hi,

there are couple of constant “rho”s in the code, e.g. rhoConst, rhoNil, rhoConstFresh, which all have a default, which can be changed. I usually check, which value the model actually uses (because I always forget, how the defaults are determined), in the stanard output (or in an MPI run in STDOUT.0000).

For the EOS calculation, checkout how “find_rho_2d” (in find_rho.F) does it: it uses “rhoNil” to scale the density (this should be “\rho_c”, while rhoConst = “\rho_0”). I am not sure if the 1D field rhoRef is used in this context.

Hope this helps,

Martin