[MITgcm-support] How to calculate the phiHyd (hydrostatic pressure potential anomaly) with model output ?

Mike Fan ifanliming at outlook.com
Fri Oct 7 02:39:28 EDT 2022

Hello all,

I want to use the model output (temp & salt & eta) to calculate the phiHyd, Through reading the guidebook, I learned that phiHyd is called hydrostatic pressure potential anomaly, using the equation like 4.2. Baroclinic Ocean Gyre ― MITgcm checkpoint68k-6-g80404458a documentation<https://mitgcm.readthedocs.io/en/latest/examples/baroclinic_gyre/baroclinic_gyre.html#output-files>.

In my model, setting a linaer EOS, implicitFreeSurface=’true’, and rhoConst=999.8. Here is my question, there is a rho_0, how the model calculates it?

What I have done. I set rho_0=rhoref (got from RhoRef.data & RhoRef.meta), but the result is not the same as the phiHyd (got from phiHyd.00000******.t0**.nc).

Leming