[MITgcm-support] basic question about MITgcm forcings

Gus Correa gus at ldeo.columbia.edu
Fri Oct 7 16:53:21 EDT 2022

The baseline forcing scheme (controlled  by the "data" namelist) requires
the forcing data to be in the MITgcm grid  of your experiment.
However, if you use the "exf" (external forcing) package, it will
interpolate the forcing data to the MITgcm grid.
It also uses the "cal" (calendar) package to set the forcing frequency,
starting date, etc.
You still need to convert the CESM2 netcdf files to the binary format used
by the MITgcm binary IO package (mdsio),
and this can take a lot of work.
There is a netCDF IO package (mnc), but it is rather incomplete and not
very flexible, especially for the output.