[MITgcm-support] High-frequency time series output at a single domain point for computation of a power spectrum

Burns, Paul P.Burns2 at exeter.ac.uk
Mon Mar 28 12:15:15 EDT 2022

Hi Martin,

Apologies for the delay, I've been distracted by other tasks.  I've just got around to sorting this out again.  I have a couple of remaining questions:

  *   If I set nSetRegMskFile=1, and so compute my statistics at only 1 level, how do I choose the level?  I can't see an obvious way to choose the level.
  *
  *   To try and understand what is happening, I downloaded the binary file regMask_lat24.bin and read it into Python (using dat = np.fromfile('regMask_lat24.bin', dtype='>f4') ).  The array 'dat' has length Nx*Ny*2, where Nx and Ny are the number of points along x and y coordinates, respectively.  First of all, following your advice I was expecting dat to have length Nx*Ny..?  The values in dat are strange, with non-integers appearing, whereas I was expecting only 0s and 1s.  So either I have read in the binary incorrectly, or I am missing some information about how this works.

Many thanks,
Paul

Dr Paul Burns MInstP FRMetS

Research Fellow

Geophysical and Astrophysical Fluid Dynamics Group

Department of Mathematics

Harrison Building

University of Exeter