[MITgcm-support] forcing model with hflux and sflux

Margarita Markina margarita.markina at earth.ox.ac.uk
Tue Apr 5 05:40:38 EDT 2022

Hi everyone,

I have an issue when trying to run my ocean model (with ice) in the way, so it is forced by heat and salt fluxes rather than by atmospheric variables.

As far as I understand, in order to make model use pre-defined fluxes (hflux and sflux) rather than computing them using bulk formulae I need to compile the model with "undef ALLOW_ATM_TEMP" in EXF_OPTIONS.h file - however, in this case when running the model I get an error message coming from  SEAICE_CHECK subroutine: "S/R SEAICE_CHECK: need to define pkg/exf ALLOW_ATM_TEMP".

This SEAICE_CHECK subroutine also requires ALLOW_ATM_WIND, ALLOW_DOWNWARD_RADIATION to be defined

My EXF_OPTIONS.h currently looks this way:

C   Bulk formulae related flags
#define  ALLOW_ATM_TEMP
#define  ALLOW_ATM_WIND
#define  ALLOW_DOWNWARD_RADIATION
#ifdef ALLOW_ATM_TEMP
C Note: To use ALLOW_BULKFORMULAE or EXF_READ_EVAP, needs #define ALLOW_ATM_TEMP
# undef ALLOW_BULKFORMULAE
# undef ALLOW_BULK_LARGEYEAGER04
# define EXF_READ_EVAP
# ifndef ALLOW_BULKFORMULAE
C  Note: To use ALLOW_READ_TURBFLUXES, ALLOW_ATM_TEMP needs to
C        be defined but ALLOW_BULKFORMULAE needs to be undef
#  undef ALLOW_READ_TURBFLUXES
# endif
#endif /* ALLOW_ATM_TEMP */

C-  Other forcing fields
#undef ALLOW_RUNOFF
#undef  ALLOW_RUNOFTEMP
#define ALLOW_SALTFLX

#if (defined (ALLOW_BULKFORMULAE) && defined (ATMOSPHERIC_LOADING))
C Note: To use EXF_CALC_ATMRHO, both ALLOW_BULKFORMULAE
C       and ATMOSPHERIC_LOADING need to be defined
# undef EXF_CALC_ATMRHO
#endif

However, in this case my model seems to use bulk formulae to compute fluxes (I ran experiment with my regular fluxes and then set them to something crazy - the model outputs were identical)

So, my question is -  how do I set my model so it is forced by hflux and sflux without getting errors from sea ice module?

Thanks so much in advance!

All the best,
Rita