[MITgcm-support] Understanding gT_Forc and gS_Forc diagnostics

Martin Losch Martin.Losch at awi.de
Fri Sep 24 14:59:37 EDT 2021

Hi Dafydd,

If you need these fields as diagnostics, try “oceQnet ” (model variable qnet) and “oceFWflx” (model variable EmPmR), “oceTAUX” (model variable fu), “oceTAUY” (fv) of the diagnostics package.

If you are looking for the variables in the code to use for extra online computations, I think they are called surfaceForcingS, surfaceForcingT (diagnostics: ‘surForcT’, ‘surForcS’), surfaceForcingU, surfaceForcingV.

Be aware that the underneath sea ice, the fluxes are heavily modified (especially the buoyancy fluxes) and will not correspond very well directly with the atmospheric fields that you specify.

Martin