[MITgcm-support] Passive tracer decoupling from convection

Christoph Voelker christoph.voelker at awi.de
Fri Sep 3 01:52:00 EDT 2021

Dear Yuxin,

in both of your setups I would not expect much response in the deep
oxygen. In the first, AMOC recovers probably quickly, so there is not
much reason to change. In the second, ten years is still fairly short,
for changing tracer distributions in the deeper parts of the ocean. The
timescale of ventilation of intermediate waters is on the order of
several decades, in the deep ocean it is centuries to millenia. So I
expect yo will at least have to run 1000 years with continuously changed
overtrning to see some larger effects in the deep North Atlantic. Maybe
have a look at the distribution of CFCs or anthropogenic carbon in the
North Atlantic from the GLODAP data base; then you see observations of
how far a signal from the surface penetrates within the deep Atlantic
within a few decades.

Cheers, Christoph