[MITgcm-support] ISOMIP compressibility

Christopher Pitt Wolfe c.l.p.wolfe at icloud.com
Mon Nov 8 12:25:16 EST 2021

The difference between the “truly” incompressible and the semi-compressible Boussinesq equations is all in the equation of state. In the “truly” impressible equations, density does not depend on pressure at all while the semi-compressible equations allow the density to depend on the hydrostatic pressure due to the reference density. This is the standard set used in oceanography and most people just call these the Boussinesq or incompressible equations since the compressibility doesn’t affect dynamics, just thermodynamics.

The ISOMIP reference experiment uses the JMD95Z equation of state, which depends on the above hydrostatic pressure. So the ISOMIP experiment would be using the semi-compressible equations.

Christopher

Christopher L. Pitt Wolfe
Associate Professor (Physical Oceanography)
School of Marine and Atmospheric Sciences
Stony Brook University
christopher.wolfe at stonybrook.edu             631-632-3152