[MITgcm-support] ISOMIP compressibility

Martin Losch Martin.Losch at awi.de
Thu Nov 4 06:11:32 EDT 2021

Arran,

the isomip verification experiment uses hydrostatic (because nonHydrostatic=.FALSE. in data, defining ALLOW_NONHYDROSTATIC only compiles the code) and incompressible equations.

In general, I have always thought the the non-hydrostatic code always uses incompressible equations.

I am not entirely sure about the documentation, but 1.5.1.4 (where you find eq 1.98-1.103) also contains the statement that “it is the hydrostatic () form of these equations that are used throughout the ocean modelling community …”
I agree that this is a little misleading. But note, that 1.100 (non-divergent velocity field) implies incompressibility, so I am not quite sure what the section heading means here, maybe someone else can explain.

Martin