[MITgcm-support] calendarDumps and pickup file names

Daniel Goldberg dngoldberg at gmail.com
Tue May 4 10:20:52 EDT 2021

Hi All

I am using calendarDumps and attempting to restart a run from pickups
previously created using calendarDumps (with checkpoint 65c). This post to
the group:

http://mailman.mitgcm.org/pipermail/mitgcm-support/2017-September/011264.html

suggests that with calendarDumps=.true., the diagnostic and
pickup frequency will be "adjusted" according to the calendar to write out
files at month's and year's end. My question is whether the time step
number in the pickup file name will be *adjusted* at all in this process?
That is, if deltaT=100s, and permanent pickup frequency is set to 2592000,
then I think this means that a pickup will actually be written at timestep
26784 rather than 25920 (assuming the run starts at midnight in 1st
january)? If so, will the pickup file be named

pickup.0000025920.data

or

pickup.0000026784.data?

Can i also ask, for purposes of making sure i do things correctly, if there
is a way to have the calendar data written to STDOUT (e.g. with monitor
output) when using pkg/cal? Sorry i don't know this already -- im new to
using the calendar package!!!

Many thanks
Dan