[MITgcm-support] Custom CPP_OPTIONS.h ignored

Yuxin Zhou yzhou at ldeo.columbia.edu
Mon Jul 12 01:16:56 EDT 2021

Hi all,
I'm trying to run "tutorial_global_oce_latlon" with a custom CPP_OPTIONS.h
in ./code, so that I can enable the "NONLIN_FRSURF" flag. However, genmake2
seems to have ignored the new CPP_OPTIONS.h file, as I still get the
following error:

(TID 0001) CONFIG_CHECK: #undef NONLIN_FRSURF and
(TID 0001) CONFIG_CHECK: nonlinFreeSurf is non-zero
(TID 0001) CONFIG_CHECK: rStar is part of NonLin-FS
(TID 0001) CONFIG_CHECK: ==> set #define NONLIN_FRSURF to use it
(TID 0001) CONFIG_CHECK: detected  2 fatal error(s)
(TID 0001) S/R ALL_PROC_DIE: ending the run
STOP ABNORMAL END: S/R CONFIG_CHECK

In fact, I tried writing gibberish in my CPP_OPTIONS.h file and genmake2
didn't complain as I thought it should. Any idea as to why this happens?
Here is the full content of my CPP_OPTIONS.h:

#ifndef CPP_OPTIONS_H
#define CPP_OPTIONS_H

C CPP flags controlling particular source code features

C o Allow the use of Non-Linear Free-Surface formulation
C   this implies that surface thickness (hFactors) vary with time
#define NONLIN_FRSURF

C o Execution environment support options
#include "CPP_EEOPTIONS.h"

#endif /* CPP_OPTIONS_H */

Many thanks,
Yuxin