[MITgcm-support] Step change in OBC

Martin Losch Martin.Losch at awi.de
Thu Feb 11 07:33:32 EST 2021

Hi Olivier,

I don’t have a solution, but do you start from rest in both cases?

Also, the “step change” in the model may be different from what you expect. If you have only two time records in your input files that are supposed to be 5days apart (at t=0 and t=5days), then the model linearly interpolates between these:

flx(t) = flx(0)*(1-t/5days) + flt(5days)*t/5days.

After 5 days, the model will ask for new data at t=10days, etc. So it’s more of a ramped up flux rather than step change.

If you what a real (instantaneous) step change I’d run the model with constant forcing flx(0) for 5 days (obcsSperiod=0) and then restart from a pickup with a different forcing file containing only flx(5days) and again obcsSperiod=0. I suspect that this will also cause some numerical challenges.

Martin