[MITgcm-support] Step change in OBC

Olivier Marchal omarchal at whoi.edu
Wed Feb 10 17:25:31 EST 2021

Hello MITgcm-ers,

I am trying to set up a step change in the OBC (at the southern
boundary) for a flow problem with no surface forcing. A sponge layer is
prescribed at the southern boundary in order to absorb an outflow at
that boundary. An inflow is prescribed along the same boundary but at
another location than the outflow. The desired step change is the
magnitude of the inflow (from 0 to 50 Sv).

Here is the current set-up:

1) code/packages.conf includes gfd, cal, exf, and obcs

2) /input/data.pkg:

&PACKAGES
useCAL=.TRUE.,
useEXF=.TRUE.,
useOBCS=.TRUE.,
&

3) input/data.cal:

&CAL_NML
The Calendar='model',
startDate_1=0000101,
startDate_2=000000,
&

4) input/data.exf:

&EXF_NML_01
&
&EXF_NML_02
&
&EXF_NML_03
&
&EXF_NML_OBCS
obcsSstartdate1=0000101,
obcsSstartdate2=000000,
obcsSperiod=432000., (i.e., step change desired after 5 days of integration)
&

5) input/data.obcs:

&OBCS_PARM01
useOBCSprescribe=.TRUE.,
useOBCSsponge=.TRUE.,
OBCSsponge_S=.TRUE.,
OBCSuFile = 'uSouth.bin',
OBCSvFile = 'vSouth.bin',
OBCStFile = 'tSouth.bin',
OBCSsFile = 'sSouth.bin'
&

&OBCS_PARM03
spongeThickness=10,
Urelaxobcsinner=43200.,
Urelaxobcsbound=8640.,
Vrelaxobcsinner=43200.,
Vrelaxobcsbound=8640.,
&

The .bin files in input/data.obcs contain fields for two time slices
produced from input/gendata.m.

Here is the issue: the run blows up after 1 iteration ("SOLUTION IS
HEADING OUT OF BOUNDS"). Use of a ridiculously small time step (deltaT
well below CFL criterion) yields a similar result. If no step change is
prescribed (inflow fixed at 50 Sv from the start of the run), then the
run goes fine.

Could anyone help me understand this result?

Thanks for any pointers,

Olivier.