[MITgcm-support] Compiling problem by ifort: undefined reference to '_gfortran_st_write'

Gus Correa gus at ldeo.columbia.edu
Tue Feb 9 02:14:08 EST 2021

Hi H. W. Shu

Those are gfortran symbols that the Intel (ifort) compiler is unable to
find,
most likely when trying to link a library to the main MITgcm code.

If your MPI and netCDF libraries were compiled with gfortran,
or, which is more common, if you installed them from packages in your Linux
distribution,
which normally compiles them with gfortran, it may be easier to try to use
a build_options file that uses gfortran instead of Intel ifort.
This is probably the shortest path to solve the problem.

If you prefer to use ifort, then a more laborious alternative is to compile
MPI and netCDF
from scratch (i.e., download the MPI and netCDF source code and compile)
with Intel icc and ifort, and use them to link the MITgcm.

I hope this helps,

Gus Correa