[MITgcm-support] errors in OB location vs Mask

Stefano Querin squerin at inogs.it
Thu Aug 26 05:48:08 EDT 2021

Hi Kunal,

just a wild guess...
As far as I remember, imposing (northern OBCS) to points with both land and water neighbors (on the eastern and western side) can give problems when MITgcm checks the overall OBCS configuration. You should alternate N and W OBCS, but you cannot do it in your specific setup.
Try to start with a single northern OB point (with land on both the W and E side), check if it works (it should); then try to add more OB points, with different locations, and see what happens.

Good luck!

Cheers,

SQ

P.S.: at that resolution, surface runoff/fluxes is a sound (and much easier) alternative.
P.P.S.: I think it is better to mask out those shallow isolated points/areas ("ponds") in the NE corner of your figure: they don't communicate with your main basin and they can be prone to unrealistic "extreme" conditions (e.g., overheating in summer).