[MITgcm-support] internal wave tutorial - tRef

Christoph Voelker christoph.voelker at awi.de
Mon Apr 26 05:35:58 EDT 2021

Dear Jeremy,

the ordering of the temperature values is from the surface of the ocean
downward. So, did you prescribe such a strong increase of T with depth
(it sounds as if you did that)? Then you will inevitably create an
unstably stratified water column. In reality you would get a very strong
vertical overturning over the whole water column. How the model handles
that depends on whether you use hydrostatic and non-hydrostatic code,
but I am not surprised that that kills the solution. Rather than
searching for where the model blows up, I would in this case choose a
more realistic initial condition.

Cheers, Christoph

Am 26.04.21 um 11:20 schrieb Jeremy Miller:
> Dear MITgcm forum,
>
> Hope all are well. A question about changing tRef in "data" in the
> internal wave verification.
> When changing tRef from the default to a linear slope, say from 5 to
> 20 in increments of 0.5, I get the following error:
>
> SOLUTION IS HEADING OUT OF BOUNDS: tMin,tMax= -1.994E+24  1.124E+24
>   exceeds allowed range (monSolutionMaxRange=  1.000E+03)
> MON_SOLUTION: STOPPING CALCULATION at Iter=        20
> S/R ALL_PROC_DIE: ending the run
> STOP ABNORMAL END: S/R MON_SOLUTION, stops due to EXTREME Pot.Temp
>
> I think there is a relationship between the time discretization and
> tRef for numerical stability, but I don't know what it is.
> Best
> Jeremy

Christoph Voelker
Alfred Wegener Institute
Helmholtz Centre for Polar and Marine Research
Am Handelshafen 12
27570 Bremerhaven, Germany
e: Christoph.Voelker at awi.de
t: +49 471 4831 1848