[MITgcm-support] internal wave tutorial - tRef

Jeremy Miller jeremysharonmiller at gmail.com
Mon Apr 26 05:20:58 EDT 2021

Dear MITgcm forum,

Hope all are well. A question about changing tRef in "data" in the internal
wave verification.
When changing tRef from the default to a linear slope, say from 5 to 20 in
increments of 0.5, I get the following error:

SOLUTION IS HEADING OUT OF BOUNDS: tMin,tMax= -1.994E+24  1.124E+24
  exceeds allowed range (monSolutionMaxRange=  1.000E+03)
MON_SOLUTION: STOPPING CALCULATION at Iter=        20
S/R ALL_PROC_DIE: ending the run
STOP ABNORMAL END: S/R MON_SOLUTION, stops due to EXTREME Pot.Temp

I think there is a relationship between the time discretization and tRef
for numerical stability, but I don't know what it is.
Best
Jeremy