[MITgcm-support] Question about the seaice pkg

Martin Losch Martin.Losch at awi.de
Wed Oct 21 03:59:35 EDT 2020

Dear Haohao,

these are tendency terms
d_HEFFbyNEG/d_HSNWbyNEG: ice/snow-thickness tendency due to (spurious) negative thickness after e.g. advection (should be small), see also explanation in SEAICE.h
r_FWbySublim: tendency due to sublimation (see comments in seaice_growth.F

I don’t know anything about d_HEFFbyRLX
But in SEAICE.h it says:

#ifdef EXF_SEAICE_FRACTION
      COMMON/SEAICE_RELAX/d_AREAbyRLX,d_HEFFbyRLX
C     ICE/SNOW stocks tendency associated with relaxation towards observation
      _RL d_AREAbyRLX (1-OLx:sNx+OLx,1-OLy:sNy+OLy,nSx,nSy)
C     The change of mean ice thickness due to relaxation
      _RL d_HEFFbyRLX (1-OLx:sNx+OLx,1-OLy:sNy+OLy,nSx,nSy)
#endif /* EXF_SEAICE_FRACTION */

Martin