[MITgcm-support] Frictional heating in the ocean model

Zhu, Fangze fzhu at albany.edu
Tue Oct 20 10:28:51 EDT 2020

Hi everyone,

Does anyone know how to calculate the frictional heating due to dissipation of kinetic energy in the ocean model? I believe the variable name is “HeatDiss” and I have already included this variable in the data.diagnostics file.

I have made the following modifications to try to turn on the frictional heating in the ocean model:

  *   [CPP_OPTIONS.h] #define ALLOW_FRICTION_HEATING  (the model has been re-compiled after this modification)
  *   [data]  addFrictionHeating=.TRUE.,
  *   [data]  staggerTimeStep=.TRUE.,  (to include FricHeat in the pickup file)

It turned out that the HeatDiss diagnostics were all zeros. However, this was not the case in the atmospheric model.

Are there any flags I didn’t turn on? How can I let the model update this variable?

Thanks in advance!

Best,
Fangze

Fangze Zhu
Department of Atmospheric & Environmental Sciences
University at Albany, SUNY
fzhu at albany.edu<mailto:fzhu at albany.edu>