[MITgcm-support] xmitgcm v0.5

Timothy Andrew Smith timsmith204 at utexas.edu
Tue Nov 24 12:27:18 EST 2020

Hey all,

I wanted to notify the MITgcm community that xmitgcm
<https://xmitgcm.readthedocs.io/en/latest/index.html> has just released
version 0.5 to pypi, and this will be on conda-forge soon. For those who
are unfamiliar, xmitgcm is a python package for reading MITgcm meta/data
binary files to xarray <http://xarray.pydata.org/en/stable/> datasets
<http://xarray.pydata.org/en/stable/data-structures.html#dataset>, while
taking advantage of dask <https://dask.org/> to enable
out-of-core, parallel analysis.

A few new additions to the latest release are:
- python 3.8 support and dropping python 2
- access to LLC4320/LLC2160 grid variables from ECCO portal with llcreader
<https://xmitgcm.readthedocs.io/en/latest/llcreader.html#>
- access to ASTE Release 1 output with llcreader (demonstrated here
<https://mybinder.org/v2/gh/crios-ut/aste/master?filepath=aste_llcreader_example.ipynb>
)
- much more! See here
<https://xmitgcm.readthedocs.io/en/latest/development.html> for a detailed
list

I would like to thank Ryan Abernathey for leading this effort, and we are
all grateful to the many contributors who added new features,
documentation, bug fixes, etc for this release - thank you all!

Take care,
Tim

Tim Smith (He/Him <https://www.mypronouns.org/>)
PhD Candidate & Graduate Research Assistant
The Oden Institute for Computational Engineering and Sciences
The University of Texas at Austin