[MITgcm-support] Non-Hydrostatic Energy Budget

钱钰坤 qianyk at mail3.sysu.edu.cn
Tue Nov 24 10:20:13 EST 2020

Hi Bertrand,

I tried to close the momentum/energy budget using MITgcm one year ago and
suffered a lot as you.  So I write two notebooks and collect all the information
I can find.  You may find them useful:
https://github.com/miniufo/notebooks/blob/master/Budget%20in%20MITgcm%20Part%20III.ipynb
https://github.com/miniufo/notebooks/blob/master/Budget%20in%20MITgcm%20Part%20IV.ipynb

However, I did not remember any clue on close w-momentum budget in
nonhydrostatic case.  Maybe you are the first one trying to do it.

On energy budget, you are right that you have to take the dot product of
velocity vector and momentum equations.  I remember that there is a major
change of the diagnostic package that some diagnostics have been re-grouped
to simplified the budget (you can find this in the reference part of the notebook).
So you have to make sure the version of the model that contains the change or
not.

------------------

 Best regards

Yu-Kun Qian (钱钰坤)
Center for Monsoon and Environment Research
 Department of Atmospheric Sciences
School of Environmental Science and Engineering
 Sun Yat-sen University
No. 135 Xingang West Road, Haizhu District
Guangzhou, 510275, P.R. China
Tel; 020-84115227
Email: qianyk at mail3.sysu.edu.cn