[MITgcm-support] [EXTERNAL] Treatment of Antarctic grounding zone regions

Pochini, Enrico epochini at inogs.it
Fri Nov 20 10:24:45 EST 2020

Hi Yoshihiro and Dimitris,

Thanks for your suggestions and for sending your papers.

In fact I experienced some model crashes, but I thought, since the
velocities close to the grounding line are quite small (at least for the
Ross Ice Shelf), the problem was somewhere else, perhaps close to the shelf
break.
I had to use a timestep of 10 minutes down to 5 minutes.

I will follow your suggestion, I will set a minimum water-thickness value
and after that process the draft and bathymetry; the shallowest GZ region
will be cut out.

Cheers,

Enrico