[MITgcm-support] adding uniform background flow to all water grid points smoothly.

Li Jianing li.jia.ning at outlook.com
Fri Nov 13 10:04:24 EST 2020

Hi Martin,

Thanks for your advice.
 Yes, I do want the flow to interact with the topography. Yesterday, after I send this email, I ran the model with 'mypackage' modification for longer time and the result suggested that it's not a proper way. So, I'll follow your suggestion to do it. Since the west and east boundaries are all open, I'll impose the flow at west boundary from still initial condition to force a eastward flow.
And there are some little puzzles:
1.This is quite similar to set U field at open boundary, except the restoring process, what kind of difference will this resotring make?
2. Is it necessary to set the outflow inthe east boundary?
3. I'm a little confused about the rbcs parameters 'rbcsForcingPeriod' and 'rbcsForcingCycle'. Since the rbcs forcing cover the whole simulation with no change in this case, will these two setting work the same way if I set both of them to 0 or set them to 'whole simulation time'? And more generally, what is the relation between 'rbcsForcingPeriod', 'rbcsForcingCycle' and 'whole simulation time'?

Many thanks!
Jianing Li