[MITgcm-support] adding uniform background flow to all water grid points smoothly.

Martin Losch Martin.Losch at awi.de
Fri Nov 13 03:58:15 EST 2020

Hi,

do you want the flow to interact with topography? If so, then the restoring option with RBCS near the boundaries (like a sponge layer) away from the topography (that’s important) appear to be the best solution. I would start from initial conditions at rest (U0=0) and impose this flow near the (open?) boundaries with strong restoring ( tau ~ O(deltaT) or just a bit larger ) and then spin up the model. For slower background flow I would even risk a non-zero U0, but with 10cm/s you might run into cfl issues in the spinup phase.

What do you mean by “dramatic distinct patterns”? The flow is going to interact with topography. I would not use restoring near or at the topography.

Martin