[MITgcm-support] Vertical temperature profile tRef

Martin Losch Martin.Losch at awi.de
Tue May 12 15:23:47 EDT 2020

Hi Kevin,

I am assuming that you are using the linear equation of state, because (in the MITgcm) the reference profile only makes sense in this context.
hydrogThetaFile should contain the initial temperature field theta (no anomaly or perturbation), can be a 3D field

tRef contains a vertical profile and I think it makes no difference whether you use the namelist parameter tRef or tRefFile to specify it. Density (anomaly) is then computed as
rho - rhoConst = -rhoNil*tAlpha*(T - tRef) + salinity contribution. + rhoNil-rhoConst  (in most cases rhoNil-rhoConst=0)

If you do not specify a file for hydrogThetaFile, then tRef is also used to initialize theta. In that case rho-rhoConst = 0 initially, and you get a marginally stable state.

Martin

PS for a non-linear EOS, tRef is ignored.