[MITgcm-support] Vertical temperature profile tRef

Kevin Ha kevin.ha.pro at gmail.com
Tue May 12 07:23:05 EDT 2020

Dear all,

I am trying to implement a configuration with a confined internal gravity
wave in the ocean without topography with boundary conditions w=0 at z=0
and z=-H.

My question is : if I want a vertical reference profile in temperature (my
medium is stratified in temperature, but not in salinity), should I specify
it only as a binary file in tRefFile or should I do it both in tRefFile and
hydrogThetaFile ?

I know the code is written in terms of perturbation field but when I do it
in terms of tRefFile only, the results don't match the theoretical
prediction whereas when I do it on both, meaning that :
- tRefFile is my vertical profile T(z)=N²/(alpha*g)*(z+H),
- hydrogThetaFile is the sum of my vertical profile T(z)=N²/(alpha*g)*(z+H)
and the initial condition for the potential temperature of the confined
wave T(x,z) = T0.*sin(kz0.*z).*cos(kx0.*x),
the results are quite better in this last case. I need to be clarified with
the difference between tRefFile and hydrogThetaFile, which I suspect to be
respectively the reference profile and the perturbation ONLY.

Here is some of the key files of my configuration.

Thank you in advance,

Best

Kevin